Monday 10 October 2016

Review - Family Tree, Thane

Food: 4.5/5
VFM: 5/5
Ambience: 5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Veg friendly: 5/5





When I first heard of this place, I was quite intrigued by the concept, and I heard a lot about the cute chairs. But Thane is too far! So it was providence that got me an invite from Family Tree, and how could I refuse then?

Once again, as I've been mentioning in my reviews lately, read with a full tummy.

The menu is created in a family photo album style, and this is is the first page:



So heartwarming! Right then, I knew that it was going to be a good place, and that was even before I heard of their 40 year old legacy of much-loved restaurants in Thane. Chef Kabir told me about their other two restaurants, and how this is completely his endeavor under their umbrella. When I heard about it, I knew that this would be a good place, because staying in the restaurant business for 40 years is a commendable job. 

Right off the bat, before we could think of what to order, Chef Kabir sent over the Raspberry Cheesecake dessert shake. How cool that I started my meal with a dessert!



It was sweet, but not overly sweet. It tasted like an actual cheesecake and very few places can manage to do that! It was thick and delightful, and the thickness of the straw should be enough to let you know how deliciously creamy this shake was. 



It was garnished with whipped cream, raspberry syrup, and that's cheese, not white chocolate slivers! What can I say, the combination totally worked. 

We were quite intrigued by the juices, and ordered a mosambi-ginger juice. 




I loved the taste, and I asked how they made it.  Apparently the ginger is pulsed before blending it with the mosambi. It had such a wonderful taste, with just the right amount of sharpness. Many of you home cooks will like this, I'm sure.

Next up, the Jamun shikanji lemonade. 


Shikanji means spiced lemonade. Jamun shikanji, hence, is jamun added to spiced lemonade. It tasted like it was pretty healthy. Like some foods are just good for you, and you can feel it. The rim was dipped in lemon juice and then dipped in rock salt and Kashmiri chilli powder. It adds a whole different kick to the drink.

Lastly, I had the smoked strawberry chiller. I was so intrigued by their drinks menu. I am usually quite happy with plain water, but I couldn't stop myself from trying out the drinks here. And boy, am I glad I did!


It just looks so pretty! Like a cross between a gola and a slushie, I was alternately drinking it, and eating it with a spoon. The best drink here! I again asked how they made it, and I was told that they smoked the strawberry with a blowtorch and then pulsed it.

On to the soup now. First, the burnt garlic soup.


Perfect for those rainy days. This will surely clear your head, stuffy with cold or otherwise. You can taste the garlic in every spoonful. Quite a treat!

We also got the lemon chili tofu soup.



It was quite understated, and delicately delicious. I had way more of this than I intended to. A must-try, and they're generous with the tofu! I like soups that manage to be understated, yet bursting with flavor. This takes it all.


I had read a lot of recommendations of the Naanza, and Chef Kabir also suggested we try it, so we did! And I'm glad we did. 


Tortilla, cottage cheese, baked beans, veggies. Topped with sour cream and basil, served with salsa dip and sour cream.

How can I go out and not order nachos? I think I'm addicted to nachos. The Mexican baked nachos were great, served with salsa and topped with lots of yummy yummy cheese. There was more than enough jalapeno there and I liked it even though I'm not usually a fan of those! You can see the Naanza in the background!


By now we were pretty full (I have a tendency to stuff myself with appetizers), yet I still did want to try one of the mains, so we ordered Spaghetti Aglio Olio. Now this is a very simple dish, and yet, or probably because of that, it's difficult to pull off.


Chef Kabir has added an Indian twist to this dish, and it was a bold attempt. I totally loved the addition of burnt garlic to the spaghetti, but I feel like this could be a polarizing dish. If you love it, you'll totally love it though! Top points from me. Also, who can resist cherry tomatoes?


It was served with fresh, warm garlic bread. If you like garlic, or if it's raining, or if you just want an avant-garde version of Aglio Olio, try it out. You won't regret it.

Lastly, to top of the meal, there was Paan ice cream. Isn't that cute? It was stuffed with ice cream and topped with a cherry. It was so cold! What a combination of textures! A novel dish that you should try atleast once.


VFM: This place gets major VFM points. What you see in the pictures are half portions. Yes, if you order the same things, you'll get double the quantity. Definitely value for money. 

Ambience: It has a nice, homely atmosphere, and I so wanted to take a pictures of the chairs to show you guys, but people kept coming in, and there wasn't a single unoccupied table. Which just goes to show how popular this place already is! Also, I didn't want to be that creep who takes pictures of chairs when people are sitting in it. The menu is family album styled and the wall is also decorated the same way, with mirros and knick knacks.


Service: Pretty good, and I could see that Chef Kabir was really making an effort to train the servers in the details of every dish and it came across. Our server was pretty knowledgeable too. As always, discreet yet attentive is my favorite kind of service, and Family Tree manages that, for the most part.

Veg friendly: Yes! So much! They can make a good number of their dishes Jain friendly too.

The ones I would be back for: Smoked Strawberry Chiller, Lemon Chili Tofu soup, Spaghetti Aglio Olio

The ones I want to try next: Nutella Shake, Pesto Lasagna



*This review was on invite, and the meal on the house. However, all views are unbiased.


Family Tree Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...